My pink baby swing was just too girly to pass along to my daughter for her new baby boy (who has still not arrived!). It needed to "Man-Up".
It used to look like this: (I had to find an image on google because I forgot to take a before pic, but this is the exact swing)
I very gently removed the seat and the mobile and smoothed them out on the table, then I laid tissue paper over them and attempted to draw a pattern of the various pieces. Then I tried laying the tissue paper under the swing seat. All I got were crazy scribbles. Sooooo.....
I ripped the thing apart. Using each piece as the pattern for a new piece turned out to be the best way to get the proper shape and fit. And, I just peeled off the pink top layer leaving the padding, backing, snaps, tabs, and straps that came with the swing originally! Bonus!
Putting it back together was a challenge. I forgot to take "before" pictures, and I forgot how the pieces all came off! This turned into a swing seat puzzle. I contemplated running out and buying a new swing. $129.99 for a swing! Egads! Ok, motivation returned.
I even decided to try piping, something I've never done before. It turned out pretty good! I'm happy with it, but next time I will make the effort to go find my zipper foot before I do the piping. Might make sewing it a lot easier. And I really like the piping of the solid brown to break up the "wild" look just a tad.
I had a volunteer to test it and see if it would hold. Only took about a minute and she was fast asleep! Hmm, maybe I should keep the swing after all!
It's not totally done yet. I still have to "Man-Up" the pink head stabilizing pillows and the mobile. I'd better hurry, my little grandbaby boy will be here soon! He's overdue!