Thursday, October 14, 2010

Got a New Grin

I got braces!

It wasn't easy, but I got all the brackets glued on and separators stuffed between my molars. I get the wires on in 2 weeks. Feels So weird! I hope I get used to the feeling soon, because it's bizarre.

Getting the separators in was not easy, my teeth are so tight together. There was some blood involved when the guy rammed the floss down between my molars, then he commented on how tight my teeth are. Super crowded. Then he threaded the little rubber things in and got them shoved between the teeth. Not exactly the most fun ever, but no shots involved, so it was fine.

The brackets attached to each tooth look like they were glued on willy-nilly, but in the end they will be all lined up. Crazy crooked!  It feels like I have a cactus glued to each tooth. And I just discovered that eating is a whole new adventure with all of these prickly plastic doohickeys in my mouth.

The thing that bugged me the most was the dentist's bubble gum scented gloves. OMG so gross! I was holding back my gag reflex and he kept asking me if it hurt, um no, you just freaking stink! Really bad! So, when he was all done and I got the vice taken off my mouth that was holding it open I told him I wasn't a fan of the bubble gum scented gloves. Next time I'll have to remember to ask for unscented. Who knew! Oh, and the vice or whatever it is called, geez, can it spread my lips out any farther? Holy crap! Can't believe they didn't split apart. Ay Ay Ay!


When they originally gave me my options for the style of braces I could get, my choices were metal or clear plastic.  They showed me pictures and I decided on the clear. They are far from invisible, but they aren't as eye-catching as the shiny metal. I thought it was more "grown-up" to get the clear braces. So, as the guy is gluing on the last of the clear plastic brackets he casually mentions that they have a tendency to stain.  Wait, stain? Ewww.  Yeah, they will absorb the colors of foods, especially coffee and soda.  I should quit drinking soda for sure and coffee.


Quit drinking coffee?  Um, metal braces please!!!  Oh boy.  Are stained braces all that bad?  I did quit drinking pop 5 years ago though, so at least I have that part of the battle won already.

When he was all done with me, I got to rinse my mouth out, goodbye glue and glove taste!  And I was given a cleaning kit of floss and toothbrushes and wax and all sorts of fun things. Then he handed me some literature that said to quit drinking soda and candy and have my parents make an emergency appointment for me, even if it's during school  hours, if I break my wires or brackets loose.  Heh, I'm just a kid again! 

I was done in 2 hours, and at least an hour of that was just waiting.

Keith went too, but he was mostly getting stuff done on the general side and I was only on the orthodontic side of the place, so I didn't see much of him. He was in ortho when I was and I heard the dentist telling him that braces might not be a good idea because of his bite, he has a skeletal problem that would require surgery involving the breaking of the jaw. Leaving his teeth as is would be better since the teeth are compensating for the misaligned jaw. Hmmmm. He's rethinking the whole braces thing which means I'm in this alone now. Dang it. But really, if it was me I'd opt out without even thinking about it. No freaking way would I do this if it involved that kind of reconstruction of the jaw. After his consultation, he was sent over to the dental side and the dentists worked on him for 5 hours. He was prepped for 4 crowns! Cripes! Poor guy.

We both go back in two weeks, but it won't be a date this time. I'm going on Wednesday to get the separators removed and the wires put in place, and he is going on Thursday to remove the temporary crowns and put on the permanent crowns.

In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out how to eat and smile with all these gizmos on my teeth.

2 comments:

Julie H said...

Did you get some pain meds to go with the spacers that sounds painful!

Wolfpak5 said...

After two years I still can't eat like I used to. Biting down is very hard for me and there are some foods I can no longer eat like corn on the cob. Forget about chewy things. However, I still drink coffee and soda.