Monday, January 14, 2008

Christmas break ends tomorrow!

Back to school! Finally!!! It's mid-January for Pete's sake! Christmas break has been going on far too long! The school had 3 half days and let out on Dec 19th, so the break was just a few days short of a full month. Tomorrow I send one of my girls back to school. Back to a schedule. Back to a routine. Back to getting out of bed before noon. Back to normal!

Ah, but you realize what this means for me? Back to driving the mom-taxi at 7am in my pajammies. Back to arranging my baby's naptime around school pick-up time. Back to nagging about homework. Back to thinking about lunch money and dress code. Back to keeping the days straight so I can answer the daily question "Is it an A-Day or a B-day"?

My oldest daughter and I both start back to school in a week. And my husband went back 2 weeks ago. I'm glad we aren't all starting back at once. I need to adjust. I can only get back in the groove of getting this family out the door one person at a time.

Mornings are chaotic and I'm never at my best before coffee. And with the baby still waking up 3 times a night for nursing.... I am surprised I can get anyone out the door at all! But they all wake up saying "Mooooooom, Where's my....." My husband might be the worst one of the bunch. And then my daughter usually thinks the 15 minute drive to school can be magically done in less than 2. "Moooooom, hurry! I'm gonna be late!" You know, because it's always my fault that she can't get out of bed even though I nearly pull all my hair out trying to get her up for an hour. Pre-coffee. Maybe I was trying to shake her dresser awake. I usually give her the benefit of the doubt and let it slide while she complains and I stop for each and every stop sign all the way to the school. I have to look in the mirror 17 times to make sure I did remember to bring the baby. Seriously, I'm not with-it before the coffee kicks in.

So I have 4 days of driving the early morning mom-taxi before I have to start school myself. Then of course, I'll have to have myself put together and the baby ready for the sitter. Some mental preparation is necessary for a feat this great! I'm not saying I'm gonna brush my hair or anything but starting tomorrow sleeping in is history.

I'm going vertical early in the morning and kissing Christmas break laziness goodbye. Hmmm.... I like my laziness but I'm glad to see the kid get rid of hers! Ah, the dynamics mommy-hood!

6 comments:

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Back to school JUST NOW! I would have surely used that knife to slit something more than my salad from lunch yesterday!!! YIKES!

;)

Mary said...

I made it. I got up, poured a cup of coffee, bundled the baby, strapped her in, drove the teen to the high school, and got back home. whew!

I made a wrong turn though and got stuck driving around in a neighborhood that was like a maze of cul-da-sacs! Found my way out and blamed it on the early morning sun in my eyes. Or the sleepy fog in my head. Dear daughter was disgusted!

Now I'm back home, still in my jammies and enjoying more coffee while watching Earnie and Bert sing the alphabet. Good morning!

Alicia said...

You guys all had a long Christmas break!! What were they thinking?!?!?

you are such a good mom for nursing still every night. I just tell ruby to go to sleep and see ya in the morning! (But I guess that I make it up with katy, since she sleeps in my bed!!)

We are coming to San Diego for the 4th of July so if you are home I gotta stop by!!

Good luck with your mornings!! Aren't kids and school so much fun?!?!?

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

We went back on the 7th and it wasn't soon enough for me. Hey, I do the school drop off in my jammies too!

Shelley said...

Seriously, my kids have been back in school since the 7th. Two weeks is about all I can take of the fighting. Although, not having to get up at 6:45am and be the mom taxi is very nice. I was getting an extra hour of sleep in the mornings, and it made a huge difference in how I felt. Now I'm back to sleep at 12:30am, up at 6:45 am. BLAH. And no, I'm not a masochist who just likes to stay up late. I get home from work around 11:30pm.

The really fun part this morning was this, at 7am: "Mom, are you awake enough to let me drive? Pleeeaasseeeeee?" Gah.

onthegomom said...

Holy cow. We went back on January THIRD!!!!!! Oh and I am not complaining, more like bragging. :-) Our break was only 8 school days.

I don't know how you do it with ALL of you in school. YOU ROCK!